Sandalwood on Lake Minnetonka
At that time, I was working in a nightclub and driving a bakery truck too, so I probably had myself honed down pretty fine from the actual work I was doing. But I wanted to feel it again, I wanted that feeling that you couldn’t exactly say was a feeling. It was an ecstasy.
And I wasn’t thinking about anything. It was just a gentle breath. It was there because I was still enough, without anything bothering the conscious mind. So it just happened.
Well, it was about two years before it happened again. I wanted it to come back so much, I cried. And then it happened again without trying. It was just a happening. And I wanted to find out what it was. I even cried that it had come back. It’s like pleasure and pain mixed. You couldn’t call it pleasure, you couldn’t call it pain. It was just an ecstasy.
After a while, I got so that I could just do it with a gentle, in-drawn breath. But it wasn’t me. It’s just tuning into the THATNESS, the IT-ness, God, love, whatever you want to call it. The name you put on it doesn’t make any difference. It’s the experience.
So I can sit here now and just draw on a gentle breath. I wouldn’t dare breathe that way all the time because I wouldn’t want to be walking that high off the ground. But I can sit down and be very quiet and it happens. It’s just an ecstasy in the very air.
- Excerpt from “Great Song: Life & Teachings of Joe Miller” Edited by Richard Power, Foreword by Coleman Barks
